Personal View of Karate by Harvey


Explain in your own words why Karate is important to you!

( By Harvey ) 

Karate is important in many ways as it provides a healthy lifestyle choice to myself and my son. This initially began 35 years ago for a couple of years but as officework commitments increased I had to put this on hold, the passion stayed with me. The interest for karate was rekindled when about seven and a half years ago my son Noah joined the dojo as a white belt and progressed with enthusiasm and developed through the katas. I had watched him exercise and train with his fellow students, it was inspiring, and when Ylli Sensei allowed adults to join in I had the opportunity to resume my training again by starting as a white belt.


I believe that karate helps develop a stronger bond with my son by allowing me to take an active role as possible in my son’s development without feeling out of place. A pivotal moment was as a brown belt my son questioned his ability and  I was able to provide him with support to gain his black belt. 


Ylli Sensei’s class is unique in that it is open to all ages and family friendly within a safe environment.


What Karate does for you, how it benefits you!  


There are many benefits to be gained from Karate. As a father I have already revealed that being actively involved with my son sets a good example and has increased my level of enjoyment and by showing interest in him through participation in the class is an indication of support. Thus my involvement has created a stronger bond with my son and increased his self esteem. 


In tandem to supporting my son, I physically benefit as a 63 year old karateka from improved health through hard work, exercise and fitness.


Karate is one of the few sports that can be enjoyed as part of a group or in an individual activity.  


I find that gym work is solitary with little stimulation, and often I become bored. Through training in the dojo I have found that my cardiovascular fitness has improved along with strength, flexibility and reflexes. 


An example of a person of my age who benefits from exercise and fitness is that I no longer get out of breath running for a bus! Maintaining regular physical fitness is a challenge as I have to be more cautious at my age as I am not as agile as my fellow teenagers or  adults. 


During training I’ve had to endure periods of pain resulting from a fractured forefinger, a snapped hamstring, and pulled calf muscles, often weeks needed to recover. 


My physical fitness has resulted in improved health and weight loss, important as my family has a bad history of  diabetes.


Part of regular karate training is helping to strengthen my mental skills, and resilience.


As a result my patience, self-discipline, control and self confidence has helped me to become better and stronger as karate is physically and mentally demanding. 


Often before each class I  get nervous, I question my ability in being able to compete with my fellow students and keep up, it would be so easy to miss a class or two when I am having a bad day in the office or when I am not in the mood when it is a sunny day everyone is in the park. 


No matter how I feel I still return and train, making the best of my time as I know it is  a way of improving my resilience to better myself. 


Resilience is a measure of my emotional strength and endurance, the stronger it is the more able my ability to cope with any setback or obstacle.


I know I enjoy karate because at the end of each training lesson I come out feeling calm,  relaxed and happy as I return home. 


Karate to me is about embodying the principles and values of martial arts every day. 


It's a reminder that the journey is endless and that there is always room for improvement, and that the reward lies in the journey itself, not the destination.  


Uss Harvey!


December, 2023

https://www.mykarateclub.co.uk

Shotokan Fitness Karate School

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heian Shodan Kata

Personal view of Karate by Alban

What makes a good Sensei